City of Randleman History

City of Randleman History


Early History of Randleman

 

-------------------- 1800 --------------------

The founding of the Dicks Grist Mill in 1800 was the beginning of the history of the Randleman, N.C. It has been said that Rick Dicks laid the cornerstone for the City Randleman.

-------------------- 1833 --------------------

The Naomi Methodist Church was organized.

-------------------- 1848 --------------------

By 1848 more settlers had come, and Union Factory was built, causing the community to change its name to Union. During this informative period, two men were outstanding in development of the Community:  John Banner Randleman, and John H. Ferree. These two men had purchased the Union Factory, and changed it to Randleman Manufacturing Company, and were instrumental in starting the Naomi Mills.

-------------------- 1850 --------------------

The first church to be built in Randleman was the MT. Lebanon Methodist Church in 1850.

-------------------- 1855 --------------------

In 1855 a Methodist Episcopal Church was organized, called St. Paul.

-------------------- 1880 --------------------

In 1880, the General Assembly at Raleigh granted paper of incorporation to the City of Randleman, named for John Banner Randleman. When the town of Randleman Mills was created and incorporated a town, John H. Ferree, James E. Walker, James O. Pickard, Romulus R. Ross, Addison W. Vickery, created a body politic under the style of Commissioners of the Town of Randleman Mills.

-------------------- 1889 --------------------

The news of the High Point, Randleman, Asheboro, and Southern Railroad in 1889 had greatly facilitated the growth, because roads were not good, and the railroad assured the town of quicker handling of freight. During this time three more mills came into being Randleman Hosiery Mills, Plaidville Mills, and Marie Antoinette, Randleman Hosiery was the first hosiery mill in Randolph County.

The High Point, Randleman, Asheboro, and Southern Railroad was completed in July 1889. In its early days the influence of this railroad played an important part in the development of Randleman, and other sections of Randolph County. The small town thrived, and by 1890 was the largest town in Randolph County.

-------------------- 1900 --------------------

The Bank of Randleman was organized in 1900 with Stanhope Bryant as president, and was consolidated with the Peoples Bank in 1910.

-------------------- 1944 --------------------

St. Paul Methodist Episcopal Church and the Naomi Methodist Church merged in 1944, and are now the First Methodist Church.

-------------------- 1967 --------------------

September 5, 1961 moved from old City Hall Building to first floor of the Lions Club building at the corner of the City Parking Lot.

-------------------- 1965 --------------------

January 1965, the Board formed the first Planning and Zoning Board.

-------------------- 1970 --------------------

March 1970 began grading and clearing for the ball field on Stout Street.

-------------------- 1973 --------------------

In 1973 completed construction on present City Hall and the Randleman Library.

-------------------- 1978 --------------------

February 7th, 1978 the form of government was changed to City Manager/Alderman form of government.

-------------------- 1979 --------------------

July 1979 the first full time fire chief was hired.

Grand Opening


Automobiles in Early History